A wise man once said, marketing is no longer about the stuff you make, but about the stories you tell. And what better way to tell a story than a YouTube video ad? “Every day, people watch hundreds of millions of hours of YouTube videos and generate billions of views”.
Now, you may be wondering what this means for a business owner like you. Well… the answer is simple. Opportunities. This represents a lot of potential customers, both at home and on the go. Simply put, if you aren’t capitalizing on YouTube ads, you’re missing out.
Now… lets check out the top 4 reasons you need to use YouTube ads.
1. Capitalize on Changing Consumer Behavior
Remember the days when you use to walk into the local Blockbuster or Videoquest, and pick out a movie to watch over the weekend? Still do that? Most likely not. This is because technology has emerged at an increasingly fast pace in recent years. Check out the graph below from Google, showcasing the emergence of new technology over the past few decades.
With a change in technology, is a change in consumer behaviour. With platforms like YouTube at your fingertips, there is no need to go out and pick a movie or a TV show. Although Canadians are still big fans of TV, video viewing patterns are changing. Between 2012 and 2016 there has been a:
- 44% increase in daily time spent with digital video
- 127% daily time spent with mobile video
eMarketer, Digital Video and TV Viewer Metrics in Canada, 2012- 2017, Year comparison 2012-2016
Canadians are moving away from traditional subscription models. For two years in a row, we’ve seen subscribers fall for all major specialty TV channels, while they have increased for YouTube.
In the past, Canadians would tune in to their favourite TV show at a specific time of day. Today, they have the option to watch what they want, when they want, and on whichever screen they want.
1 in 2 Canadians say they watch YouTube on their TV
65% of Canadians say they’ve watched videos about food or drink ideas, recipes, or how to’s
1 in 3 don’t watch comedy late night shows live on TV but instead watch clips of these shows on YouTube
77% of Canadians interested in music turn to YouTube- that’s 2.3X higher than those who watch on TV
2.YouTube Has a Massive Global Reach
Statistics from YouTube.
- YouTube has over a billion users — almost one-third of all people on the Internet — and every day people watch hundreds of millions of hours on YouTube and generate billions of views.
- You can navigate YouTube in a total of 76 different languages (covering 95% of the Internet population).
- More than half of YouTube views come from mobile devices.
- YouTube has launched local versions in more than 88 countries.
- YouTube overall, and even YouTube on mobile alone, reaches more 18-34 and 18-49-year-olds than any cable network in the U.S.
3.YouTube Targeting Allows You to Advertise to Consumers That Matter to You
By advertising on YouTube, you are able to serve your target market in moments that matter. What’s exceptionally great about YouTube ad’s is that you can reach specific or niche audiences based on who they are, what they’re interested in, and what content they’re viewing.
Some commonly used YouTube targeting methods for your video ads are:
- Audience Targeting
This method lets you define who you want to reach. You can target by:
- Parental status
- People interested in certain topics
- People who already have a strong interest in relevant topics
- People who Are tailored to your brand
- People who are researching products and actively considering buying a service or product like those you offer
- Past interaction with your videos, ads, or YouTube Channel
- Household Income
Google/Ipsos, Human Stories Canada, June 2016
Google/Ipsos, Human Stories Canada, June 2016
Check out YouTube’s audience and the average household income for each age group!
2. Content Targeting
This method lets you define where you want your ads to show. It includes:
- Placements: Target unique YouTube channels, YouTube videos, apps, websites, or placements within websites.
- Topics: You can reach a broad range of videos, channels, and websites related to the topics you select. For example, if you target to the “Makeup” topic, then your ad will show on YouTube to people watching videos about makeup.
- Keywords: You can target your ads based on words or phrases related to a YouTube video, YouTube channel, or type of website that your audience is interested in.
4.YouTube Ads Are Affordable
Its not necessary to have a huge marketing budget to advertise effectively on YouTube. With YouTube video ads, you have full control over your daily budget. This allows you to spend what you’re comfortable with. Ex. You don’t want to spend over $20 a day, so you can cap your daily spend to a maximum of $20/day. You also have the option to determine what you want to pay for each view of your ad. What is even better is that you only pay when someone engages with your video ad. If they skip it before 30 seconds, or the end of the video, you don’t have to pay a single cent.
Now, we aren’t here to tell you that TV advertisements are dead, blah blah blah. BUT- we are here to tell you that research shows YouTube ads are where you should be putting in some investment.
TV + YOUTUBE = BETTER TOGETHER
1. Better Reach and Frequency
1 in 3 YouTube users are light TV veiws who are increasingly difficult to reach via TV
2. Better Engagement
The same ads were 39% more engaging when shown on YouTube
3. Better Results
When TV and YouTube deliver an equal impression share, we see a 29pt lift in ad recall
To start advertising your business, product, or services on YouTube, get in touch with Mrkt360 today. Alternatively, you can request to receive a $100 coupon off your first YouTube Advertising campaign by clicking the link below:
Google TNS YouTube Audience Profiling Study, Canada, June 2016, Light defined as 8 hours a week
Google/Explorer Group, “The Biometrics of Branding”
Google Ipsos TrueView and TV Lab Test, Canada, 2016